Ecclesia reformata semper reformanda secundum verbum Dei

Lessons and Carols: "Rest, and Hear the Angels."

As a long tradition at San Francisco Theological Seminary, Christmas season is celebrated with Lessons and Carols. This year it is taking place on 3 and 4 December 2010. The theme for this year is “Rest, and Hear the Angels.” I was ushering last night, the first day. I was glad that many people came to hear the magnificent proclamation of the coming of the Savior, plus the wonderful songs sung by the Seminary Singers. They reminded me that singing in a choir is (most probably) not my gift.
I was also thankful that two dear friends were able to attend it. Some people told me afterwards how they enjoyed the service. But their words also reminded me of some people who were sitting at the entry way. I knew that they could not fully enjoy the service, because people were going back and forth in front of them. I actually asked them if they would like to sit at the balcony, after the choir went down to sit at the front. They were so excited. But…that did not last long. I just could not forget what one of them said to me when I asked her what happened, “They kicked us down.” I was terribly sorry to hear that. “Because they would distract the pianist” the floor coordinator explained to me. Well, I should’ve asked him first. I just thought that people were sitting up there in the previous years. The uneasiness was with me, and it was really bothering me, until my dearest one told me that I’ve done what I had to do. The result was not my domain.

I hope those of us who were up there last night, especially who were caught in the “unpleasant feelings” still can rest, and hear the angels. It is also to say, that even in the midst of difficulties and hard feelings in this world, we need to rest, and hear the angels sing the good news that points us to the meaning of forgiving and being reconciled with God.

Happy Advent Seasons.

No comments:

First Things | On the Square